食品伙伴网服务号
 
 
当前位置: 首页 » 专业英语 » 资源技巧 » 正文

除了表示转身,turn around原来还有这种意思?!

放大字体  缩小字体 发布日期:2022-05-18  来源:沪江英语  作者:foodtrans
核心提示:除了表示转身,turn around原来还有这种意思?!
英文中不仅有一词多义,还有词组多义的情况,今天来看10个常见的多义词组。

Turn around

停止一事无成,变得越来越好

I hope the new director will turn around our failing business.
我希望新董事能够扭转我们失败的业务。

We were losing in the first half but we managed to turn things around by the end of the game.
我们在上半场失利,但我们在比赛结束时设法扭转了局面。

转动某物或某人的方向

Turn the car around and go back to the filling station for the tank cap.
把汽车调头并返回加油站去拿油箱盖。

Turn around and let me dust your back.
转身让我帮你掸下背。

Break off

结束一段关系,结盟等

They never got along well, and after one of their bitter quarrels they finally broke off their relationship.
他们一直都相处得不好,一场激烈的争吵后,他们终于断绝了关系。

You shouldn't treat her like a child if you don't want her to break off with you.
如果你不想让她和你分手,你不应该像对待孩子一样对待她。

停止做某事

His speech wouldn't have been bad, but he suddenly broke off in the middle of a sentence and left the auditorium.
他的演讲并不糟糕,但他突然在讲话时中断并离开了礼堂。

The business will go on until one of the parties breaks off.
该业务将持续到其中一方中断。

Cut out

剪切成某种样子

She cut her cap out of some funny old material.
她从一些有趣的旧材料上剪下帽子的样子。

They cut out thick paper swords for the children to play with. 他们剪了厚厚的纸剑供孩子们玩耍。

删除,移除,省略

He's too fat, he'd better cut bread and sugar out of his diet and do more exercise.
他太胖了,他最好从饮食中除去面包和糖并且做更多的运动。

Tuck in

使某人在床上觉得很舒服,哄孩子睡觉

She tucked the children in and said goodnight.
她将孩子裹入被中并说了晚安。

Who'll tuck me in while mummy's away?
当妈妈不在的时候谁将会抱我呢?

激动地吞下很多吃的(非正式)

The pie is ready, come on, guys, let's tuck in.
馅饼做好了,来吧,伙计们,让我快享用美食吧。

All the guests hoped to tuck in to the finest foods at the wedding reception.
所有客人都希望在婚宴上尽情享用最美味的食物。

Give away

把某物作为礼物赠送出去

If you won the lottery, how much would you give away to charity? 如果你赢了彩票,你会给慈善机构捐多少钱?

Sorry, we can't lower the price, we're almost giving away these products already.
对不起,我们不能降低价格,我们几乎已经是在捐赠这些产品了。

出卖;错失优势

He thought nobody would recognize him in the Santa Claus costume, but his voice gave him away.
他以为穿着圣诞老人的服装没有人会认出他,但是他的声音把他出卖了。

Arsenal could hardly win after giving away two goals.
在错失两球之后,阿森纳几乎无法获胜。

Take back

收回你说过的话

You can't insult her with rude words, take it all back.
你不能用粗鲁的话侮辱她,把那些话全部收回。

What I said may sound critical, but I won't take anything back. 我所说的可能听起来很有批判性,但我不会收回任何说过的话。

退还某物(例如退还给商店)

When we unpacked the china cups, we found one of them broken, so we took the whole stuff back.
我们拆开瓷杯时,我们发现其中一个破了,所以我们把整个东西都拿回来了。

Thanks for your kindness, but I don't need this ugly dress, take it back to the shop.
谢谢你的美意,但我不需要这件丑陋的裙子,把它退回商店。

Hang up

悬挂某物,将它固定在顶部并让下面部分自由

Come in, the maid will hang up your coat.
进来,女仆会把你的外套挂起来。

Your clothes are so untidy; why didn't you hang them up last night? 你的衣服太乱了,昨晚为什么不挂起来呢?

放下电话,结束通话

Gosh, I forgot to ask for her number before I hung up.
天哪,我挂断电话之前忘了问她的电话号码。

The girl was talking and talking on the phone, but she suddenly hung up when her mother came into the room.
那个女孩在电话里聊天,但她母亲走进房间时,她突然挂了电话。

Turn in

上床睡觉

It's late; we'd better turn in, good night.
已经很晚了,我们最好上床睡觉,晚安。

She turned in quite early, but I stayed up and watched a film.
她很早就上床睡觉了,但我还是熬夜看了一部电影。

上报警察关于某人的事

The robber had been hiding for weeks, but finally he decided to turn in.
强盗躲藏了好几个星期,但最后他决定自首。

The watchman threatened to turn them in to the police unless they give him a share of the stolen goods.
看守人威胁说要把他们交给警察,除非他们给他一份赃物。

Call off

取消,停止

Quite a lot of flights were called off due to the storm last night.
由于昨夜的暴风雨,很多航班被取消了。

They called off their engagement because they couldn't agree on what rings to buy.
他们取消了订婚,因为他们不同意买什么戒指。

命令停止,制止

The dog bit the postman three times before it was called off.
那条狗咬了邮递员三次才被叫停。

We'll give in, please call off your men.
我们会让步的,请把你们的人叫走。

Tear off

用力撕掉,撕开分开

His collar and sleeves were torn off in the street fight, but fortunately he wasn't hurt much.
在巷战中,他的衣领和袖子被撕破了,但幸运的是他没有受伤。

Tear off a slip over there to get your number for queuing.
在那边撕下一张纸条去取你的排队号。

快速脱掉衣服

When they reached the oasis, everybody tore off their burnous and jumped into the water.
当他们到达绿洲时,每个人都脱掉了他们的头巾并一头扎进了水中。

It was only when he tore off the burglar's mask that he saw it was a woman.
当他撕开窃贼的面具时,他才发现那是一个女人。

你还见过哪些类似词组?

更多翻译详细信息请点击:http://www.trans1.cn
编辑:foodtrans01

 
[ 网刊订阅 ]  [ 专业英语搜索 ]  [ ]  [ 告诉好友 ]  [ 打印本文 ]  [ 关闭窗口 ] [ 返回顶部 ]
分享:

 

 
推荐图文
推荐专业英语
点击排行
 
 
Processed in 0.124 second(s), 17 queries, Memory 0.95 M